Sewing Machine Operator *WILL TRAIN*
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
EMPLOYER WILL TRAIN YOU – Must read/write well but does not require a HS Diploma or GED. Operate or tend sewing machines to perform garment sewing operations, such as joining, reinforcing, or decorating garments or garment parts. Include sewing machine operators and tenders who perform specialized or automatic sewing machine functions, such as buttonhole making or tacking.
1. Starts and operates or tends machines that automatically join, reinforce, or decorate material or fabricated articles.
2. Draws thread through guides, tensions, and needles and adjusts machine functions, according to fabric type.
3. Positions item under needle, using marks on machine, clamp or template, edges of cloth, or markings on cloth as guides.
4. Turns knobs, screws, and dials to adjust settings of machine, according to garment style and observation of operation.
5. Replaces and rethreads needles.
6. Guides garment or garment parts under machine needle and presser foot to sew parts together.
7. Positions material or article in clamps, template, or hoop frame prior to automatic operation of machine.
8. Sews replacement parts or missing stitches, according to repair tickets.
9. Observes sewing machine operation to detect defects in stitching or machine malfunction, and notifies supervisor.
10. Attaches buttons or fasteners to fabric, using feeding hopper or clamp holder.
11. Folds or stretches edges or length of items, while sewing, to facilitate forming specified sections.
12. Attaches tape, trim, or elastic to specified garments or garment parts, according to item specifications.
13. Removes holding devices and finished item from machine.
14. Selects supplies, such as fasteners and thread, according to specifications or characteristics of fabric.
15. Bastes edges of material to align and temporarily secure garment parts for final assembly.
16. Draws markings or pins applique on fabric to obtain variation in design and marks stitching errors with pins or tape.
17. Replaces sewing machine parts and performs basic maintenance, such as oiling machine.
18. Cuts material and threads, using scissors.
19. Inspects garments and examines repair tags and markings on garment to locate defects or damage.
20. Records number of garment parts or complete garments sewn.